Are you …friendly? …someone that would like to volunteer in your child’s class? …..willing to get to know your child’s teacher and other classroom parents?
If so, please consider signing up to be a HELMAN ROOM PARENT!
What exactly is a Helman Room Parent???
As room parent, you are the teacher’s “go to” person to:
- help organize the class parties
- These are usually one-hour long and require decorations, snacks, and games or crafts. You don’t have to do it all yourself, but you will need to work with other parents in order to make the party successful. Class parties are usually held at Halloween, the day before winter break, and Valentine’s Day.
- help enlist parents to chaperone field trips
- The teachers usually do this themselves, but will occasionally reach out for assistance.
- coordinate your classroom’s Mayfaire booths
- Mayfaire is Helman’s annual carnival, put on by the PTA. Each class is responsible for several booths with games and/or activities. Parent reps work with the PTA coordinators to plan and implement the booths.
- assist with the annual Teacher Appreciation Week activities
- Activities may include bringing coffee to your teacher, providing a vase for the day that kids bring flowers to their teacher, and getting all the kids in the class to sign a card.
You may also be asked to help orchestrate the class’s fundraising efforts (Pizza Fridays, Bingo Night, etc.) or scholastic book orders.
What is the time commitment?
The time commitment varies by teacher, and throughout the year. For the most part, your obligation will be under 20 minutes per week. During the weeks leading up to Mayfaire, though, you will have more planning and organizing to do, and should expect a 2-3 hour weekly commitment in April and the first half of May.
This sounds like fun! How do I sign up?
Sign up at the PTA table at the Yahoo! and Boohoo! coffees (first day of school). Or, contact your PTA reps Gus Janeway (email@example.com) and/or Troy Forrest (firstname.lastname@example.org). Or, talk with your child’s teacher. Thank you for your support!