Board: Blaine Pickett, Gus Janeway, Becky Sniffen, Kayde Lemley, Kieran Taylor,
Also: Glenna Stiles, Mia Driscoll, Jacqueline Neuwirth, Niki DelPizzo, Jill Williams,
Trish Dorr, Kiley Shannon, Joe Shannon, Mike Stiles, Emily Johnston, Amy Couture,
John Williams, Linda Gerschler, Sheri Cellini, Jessica Leidall
Treasurer Position ‐ Gus Janeway voted in as Treasurer.
Scrip Sales – Motion made to discontinue program. Many volunteer hours required
under current program, small profit.
• John Williams reported that two years ago, Scrip netted $2400/year,
$200/month, including summer. Program complexity increased with
introduction of 3rd party cards. He suggests we re‐simplify by offering only
Coop and Shop n Kart Scrip. Mia agrees program declined when we went to
national brands. Prior to that, regular purchasers were contacted via email
twice/month; no sales at Scrip table was required.
• Blaine will look at last year’s financials re Scrip to inform any decision. Gus
and the to‐be‐formed Finance Committee will present their recommendation
at next meeting. Voted to table discussion until October meeting.
Meeting Format Change – Kieran and Gus attended the State PTA Meeting. Kieran
proposed changing PTA meeting format similar to some other schools that use a
Consent Agenda format.
• Under Consent Agenda format, information, including the prior meeting’s
minutes, current agenda, and committee reports, are emailed to members
one week prior to meeting. Comments, feedback, changes are welcome via
email. No response implies consent. This format empowers members with
prior information and can reduce meeting times significantly.
• Concern expressed about losing meeting attendees and limiting ability to
debate issues effectively. Sherri suggested time limits on the agenda will
keep meeting time in check.
• Voted to trial basis of consent agenda including only prior minutes, agenda
and treasurer report.
Battle of the Books program
Linda Gerschler, director of Bellview’s Battle of the Books presented.
Oregon Battle of the Books, OBOB, is a statewide voluntary reading motivation and
comprehension program sponsored by the Oregon Association of School Libraries
(www.Battle of the Books.org) ‐ Begins in November, tournament in February. Children grades 3‐5 grade can
participate, reading sixteen books across diff genres. Teams of four children.
(can have an alternate but not guaranteed playing time); kids choose teams,
can be across grades; if child does not have team, school helps form team.
Friends keep friends accountable. Teams meet at Lunch recess. Each child
agrees to be responsible for at least four books. Some read all. Children can
team‐read, listen to book on tape, listen to read aloud, so all children have
opportunity to participate regardless of reading level. Captain and team
name voted for by team. Bellview has 75 participants.
‐ Teams meet once/month, mandatory, sign in sheet. At Bellview, 3rd grd
meets Wed, 4th grd on Thurs, 5th grd on Fri. Or team can come to diff day but
needs to decide. Glenna has folder that each child receives containing note
taking sheets, a chart to ensure all books are being covered. Great leadership
skill building and experience following process and working with others.
‐ Tournament: One week in February in during lunch. Each team guaranteed
two games. M/Tu all teams play. Half go on to Wed; half go on to Thurs;
Finals on Friday. Winner goes on to Regionals. Format is Q/A from index
cards. Judges, Time keeper, team huddles and team Captain gives answer.
‐ Principals club: If child reads all 16 titles, they become member of Principals
Club and awarded lunch with Glenna. Focus on celebrating doing this. At
Bellview, all players get $6 from PTO (credit from book fair) to buy own book
at book fair.
‐ Financial Request: $1000 start up costs for 10 sets of paperbacks, which will
become part of library/classroom collections. Need set of CDs as well.
Lauren is researching possible use of Scholastic points from prior years. PTA
has $250 credit at TreeHouse Books plus a 20% discount. Program may need
fundraiser to keep sustainable. New reading list each year. Additional $25 or
$50 program fee paid to libr assoc. Gus will inform Finance Committee that
this program is priority to include when forming budget.
‐ Volunteer Requirements: One or two Coaches needed per lunch time
meeting. While children eat lunch, “Coach” discusses procedures, get charts
organized. Coach lines up games/activities to lead celebrating one of the
books. Need Judges for the Tournament. Need volunteers to process books
into the library (stickers/laminate). Possible Volunteers: PTA Class reps can
help recruit; Seniors who do Smart Readers; Nancy Daniels, Michelle Stuart;
Kayde will put word out.
Lomakatsi Pond Project (Niki):
• Kayde will be parent contact, working with Mia.
• Pond restoration project started 6 yrs ago with $100K in grants on 12 acres.
Currently have a little funding, but need decades to continue commitment.
Plantathon provides money for trees and staffing. Baseline of $2000 needed
for successful project. • Niki asked for handout feedback: information flyer and donation sheet.
Forward suggestions thru Kayde.
• Lomakatsi is focusing on riparian restoration education for community; may
do a couple other events throughout year.
Approval of September’s PTA Meeting minutes approved.
Financial Update (Gus):
• Priority objectives include establishing this year’s Budget, and writing
governing financial rules for our chapter. (We currently have no chapter
financial rules to govern procedures ‐ ie. What to do with cash bag at end of
an evening event).
• A financial review panel will be formed to make recommendations on rules
and to help set this year’s Budget. Kiley and Kayde/Craig offered to serve.
Kayde will talk with Gretski/Micah. Emily will ask her husband. Board
members needed to plan budget.
• Gus/Committee will present budget in October. Budget can be amended
throughout the year if necessary.
• Gus requested/recommended adopting accounting software, specifically
Quickbooks since he already owns, to manage PTA books. Pertinent issues
for PTA: 1. potential future software expenses when hands over Treasurer
role, although Quickbooks can be exported into Excel and continued in this
format if necessary; and 2. Information back ups. Gus has Time Machine to
back up files, and Quickbook file can be sent via email to designated Board
member for back up. Approval given for use of Quickbooks and the backup
• Receipts ‐ Recommendation to develop systematic receipt accountability (ie.
Fill out form to include with receipt for record‐keeping).
• Audit needs two non‐signers to help prepare report. Audit ‐ Nov 15 deadline
and 990N (revenue report) also due. Blaine, Marta Kartaszynska and Gus
have agreed to serve.
• Square (iPhone credit card swipe device) logs need to be printed and given to
Gus by Colleen and Kieran.
• Financial report:
‐ Scrip line item is mostly from Target sales, not actual Scrip.
‐ Memberships will be listed as a $9.50 liability because membership dollars
aren’t income since all but $0.50 goes to state chapter.
Harvest Festival (Jill):
• Event set for Sat Oct 6, 4‐6 pm. at Eagle Mill Farm. Time adjusted to end
earlier than last year (7 pm) due to darkness. Set‐up: Saturday 9‐11 am;
Break‐down: Sunday 9‐11 am.
• Request for volunteers to bring clip lights and extension cords for lighting;
outlets in kitchen. (Mia, Kayde will bring).
• Quinn and Charles to cater and provide beer/wine. PTA to reimburse. • Needed: truck to pick up and drop off BBQand 6’ tables and chairs.. Jill to
email Stacey Paige or Cherish Adams for truck. Jessica may be able to help
with tables/chairs Saturday morning set up.
• Clean up crew on Sunday for equipment.
• PTA will sell tshirts, memberships: John Williams will order Tshirts: 10 day
• Valerie to bring large canopy; Joe will bring pop‐up canopy.
• Music: Trish will talk to her band, and will ask Robbie Lindauer.
• Signage: Meet Friday Sept 21st at 1:00 to make signs. (Mia, Becky, Jill, Deltra
• Tickets: $10 adult/$5 child. Pre‐pay online $8/$4 (John W. will set up on
PTA website). Online pre‐sales equaled half of attendees in previous years.
Jill will find out costs from Quinn; Joe will send Jill last year’s info. Need to
decide what to charge for alcohol. Quinn may be able to get alcohol donated;
Gus may donate wine.
Helman Stomp (Joe and Kiley):
• Settled on May 4 date (possible Cinco de Mayo theme), same day as prom.
• A huge “Thank You” to Jessica Leidall for spearheading this year’s fun and
successful Yahoo and Boohoo Coffees!
Next Meeting: Tuesday, October 9th, 6:30‐8:00 pm at Helman Library.
• Request made to allow time at next meeting for follow up feedback/review of
Hoedown and cakewalk.